UFC Has Reportedly Handed Conor McGregor His Punishment For Bellator Scene
Mixed martial arts fans are set to be shaking their heads following news that popular UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor has been removed from the upcoming UFC 219 event as punishment for his controversial actions at Bellator 187 over the weekend.
McGregor slapped a Bellator official as he attempted to enter the cage to celebrate his friend and teammate Charlie Ward’s knockout victory over John Redmond on Sunday, causing a huge frenzy of controversy in the process when he then pushed referee Marc Goddard in the back after being told to leave the cage.
Ward was declared the winner following McGregor’s cage invasion, despite the fact that Goddard had not called a stop to the fight when McGregor had entered the cage. Michael Mazzulli, the director of the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation (MTDAR), has released a statement regarding the controversy,saying that the commission had contacted the “upper management of the UFC” and the Association of Boxing Commission (ABC) to say that McGregor’s behaviour had been “inappropriate and unacceptable”.
Appearing on the MMA Hour podcast this week, Mazzulli announced that McGregor had been pulled from the UFC’s December 30th card, with the New Years Eve event often being billed as one of the biggest of the year.
“I had some executives from the UFC contact me within two hours of what occurred, and they basically said to me that it is completely unacceptable in their eyes and that they will be doing something,” Mazzulli said. “They did inform me that he was set to be on the December 30th card and he will not be on it. So, I do commend UFC to some extent for doing that.”
McGregor is not currently licensed by the MTDAR, with some believing this will stop the commission from being able to take action against the Irishman. Mazzulli is exploring the possibility regardless.
“I will be speaking to my attorneys upon returning to the United States and see if I have any action,” continued Mazzulli.
“I did contact the members of the ABC that does have him licence and I did inform them on what had occurred. Now, I don’t know what they are going to do. Each commission is autonomous within the ABC, but we do share medicals and the safety aspect as well as rules and regulations.”
“If it was at Mohegan, there is no doubt in my mind he would be suspended and fined, and he would not be fighting at Mohegan for a minimum of six months,” he said. “No doubt.”